Children spend 20% of their time at school playing. With this in mind we have engaged with the OPAL Primary Programme (Outside Play and Learning) to support us in promoting freedom for children to explore play in their own imaginative ways, using found and gathered resources in the natural outdoor environment.
Following a term of planning and carrying out building work we introduced the first phase of OPAL to our children in Spring 2017.
Whether it is playing with tyres and planks, digging in the sand pit, enjoying imaginative play in the small world area or exploring the wigwams, OPAL is offering a creative and exciting alternative to the regular activities on the yard.
Through this kind of play not only are children more active at lunchtime they are also having the opportunity to further develop life skills such as cooperation, team work and problem solving. They are becoming motivated and enthusiastic builders, engineers, explorers and designers.
Thank you for your support with:-
- Sending your child into school with appropriate warm/waterproof clothing and wellies
- Donating to school small world creatures, cars, pots and pans etc. for the creative play
- Supporting the OPAL ethos by asking your child about their play and accepting that they may get dirty… Some parents have been sending in spare clothes with their child for lunchtimes – please feel free to do this.
You can still help us more by donating any unwanted materials you have at home such as:-
- Plastic or metal buckets
- Kitchen utensils, pots, pans, baking trays, sieves, colanders etc for the mud kitchen
- Watering cans, wheel barrows, guttering
- Large pieces for fabric
- Toy trucks, diggers, cars
- Small world creatures e.g. dinosaurs, farm animals etc.
Thank you for your continued support.
We keep our parents updated via the School App.
The school received additional funding from the following companies which has been spent on training and resources for our outdoor area.
Take a look at these photos to get an idea as to just how much fun the children do have.
We will be adding our images shortly